Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Falling In Love...Again

I am an expert runner.  5 middle schools, 4 high schools, 8 states and numerous locations within them; sometimes we get so used to change it is impossible for us to ever develop roots.  When I turned 18 and I was in charge of my own relocation(s) I became an expert of removing myself from uncomfortable situations.  It usually took a couple tanks of gas and a month to month lease.  My constant bouncing from one place to another was encouraged by friends that found this behavior, "daring" and "adventurous" and "brave".  I usually developed more of a relationship with the city/state I lived in than with the people in it.  

My second stint in Salt Lake, I didn't want to leave but like most habits/addictions you do them anyway even if you want to quit, so I moved to Wisconsin.  I grew in Wisconsin.  I married a man I met in Wisconsin.  I kept my first 12 month lease in Wisconsin.  I am getting divorced in Wisconsin.  I gave a lot of myself here, Wisconsin changed me.  

The first time I ever stepped foot in Wisconsin, I was 17.  I was  visiting my brother in Chicago and he wanted to drive up to Milwaukee and take photographs.  It was March and the mugginess of Chicago did not join us when I opened the door of the car and was hit by a blast of cold air.  The streets were relatively empty and the gray sky made the buildings ominously beautiful.  There is a loneliness to Milwaukee on a gray day and I felt a kinship with it immediately. 

Before we headed back south we drove aimlessly until we found a place to take a pit stop.  There was a grocery store on a hill.  Almost like a monument.  "They call their grocery stores Pick N Save???  That's awesome!!"  Stupid things give me a thrill sometimes.  They always have.  I walked in and they were playing Brahms overhead and I found the Produce section especially well organized.  I don't know why but it left an impression. As we drove away, I remember telling my brother that one day I would come back to Wisconsin and buy something from that grocery store, Pick N Save.  Little did I know that in less than 10 years my life would take me back there and I would be living within walking distance from that exact store.  

*    *     *     *

"So what's the plan?  Where are you off to next?"  Is the question I have been asked the most after hearing about my divorce.  I am encouraged to move to any of the numerous places that I've lived previously and still have contact with people there.  I can hear the anticipation in some of their voices wanting to live vicariously from any rash decision I may make.  I hadn't even considered leaving...seriously anyway.  I even got this question from people in Wisconsin.  I finally asked why everyone thinks I am wanting to leave. ..."BECAUSE YOU HATE WISCONSIN", was the resounding reply.  This bothered me because I didn't think I hated Wisconsin.  I didn't want to convey something I didn't even know I felt.

"You don't have to hate Wisconsin just because your life fell apart there."  This hit me like a ton of bricks.  I realized that I "hated" Wisconsin because I was mad and hurt about my divorce.  I "hated" it because it always challenged me out of my comfort zone and made me face my fears and insecurities.  I really "hated" it because I didn't necessarily want to leave.  I felt betrayed by the place that clipped my wings and didn't give me anything back.  I knew that if I was ever going to break my cycle of running I had to take a stand and at least commit to developing a home base.  This caused my gypsy soul to scream and thrash in protest and I feel like half of me is disappointed.  Wisconsin makes me feel raw.  It represents all the wants that I haven't explored and that make me feel vulnerable.  Wisconsin says to me, "I will take your sarcasm and your walls but I want every other part of you that you've ignored and pretend like it doesn't exist."


*   *   *   *

"Oconomowoc"
"Menomonee Falls"
"Waukesha"

Laughter erupts from the back of the car as I try to  phonetically pronounce the names of the cities we drive past.  I am starting a new journey in another location in the United States.  I ignore the taunting. I am too mesmerized by the water towers that boast the mysterious names and the new scenery that is full of possibility.  The scenery reminded me of a never ending road trip with hundreds of places I wanted to stop just because; exploring and listening to stories of the people who lived in the homes with the manicured lawns.  

We pull up to an apartment complex behind a Family Video.  This is going to be my home.  I saw the pictures online and as I walk up the stairs I realize how large my new home will be and I feel an incredible weight in my stomach.  The spaciousness carried with it responsibility. I felt nauseousness that I would be discovered as a fraud, and I wouldn't be able to live up to the expectations that this perfect piece of Americana embodied.  

My relationship with Wisconsin started cautiously, I bought travel books, books by the naturalists, guides to hiking and biking trails and set out.  On my long commute into Milwaukee from West Bend I was mesmerized by the community storytelling 88.9 FM and knew I wanted to be a part of this community.  I remembered the lonely buildings and streets from when I was 17 and wanted to fight for it.  To be a part of the grit.  I did and I loved it.  My friend from out of state came to visit and as we were driving  through downtown Milwaukee we turned to each other and said, "Now this is what a city looks like."

I would take walks along the beach in Port Washington and ride my bike up to Eden.  I would hike and snowshoe through the Kettle Moraine.  Bonfires and fish fry in Washington county, the observatory in Lake Geneva, driving past small farms with red barns; I looked at these with wonder and warmness.

I want that feeling back, but like ex-lovers that are trying to rekindle a romance there is distrust and fear and awkwardness.  It's like restoring an antique; through the proper time, care, patience it can be as good as new.  My relationships with the places I live can be just as tumultuous and/or pleasurable than the ones I have with the people in it.  Anyway, Wisconsin...after all my bumbling verbosity, what I am trying to say is best said by John Cusack from the state that I had an awesome relationship with before you...Here it is...







No comments:

Post a Comment