Thursday, June 24, 2010

Independent Movement

The first time I stepped out onto the Sheridan Drive, truly by myself, was amazing. If you've never smelled Chicago in the fall you are missing out. Chicago is a city made of brick and it absorbs the energy of the city. The smell makes you feel like a native and that you are part of something special. That walk from Pratt to the Loyola redline stop would be my home stretch for years to come. I never felt such confidence in myself and optimism about my future as I did then. I remember the sun shining brightly, reflecting off sidewalk, me making eye contact with everyone I passed and giving them a sincere smile. Confidence like that is contagious you know. It makes you infectious.

As confident as I was I was still an outsider. Awkward and young. I remember my brother taking me to Michigan Ave when I was 16 and me being mesmerized by the beautiful women in sleek coats and Burberry scarves, smoking and walking. They were so poised and moved quickly. I loved being jostled on the street. At 16, I decided to wear heels on this walking tour of Chicago as that's what you did when you were trying to act sophisticated. This was an obvious mistake not only did it start raining but I had a hard enough time keeping up with my 6'1" brother as it was. My feet have never been the same. At 17, I purchased my very own sleek coat. It was Kenneth Cole and there were tags sewn onto one of the sleeves. Being naive I left them on there and when my brother took me to a high end consignment shop in Wicker Park I was mortified when one of the girls very nicely asked me if she could cut them off for me.

This time would be different though, I was 20 now. I had been on my own! I moved around the country like a vagabond. I was now an expert on packing all my belongings into my 1997 Mitsubishi Mirage and could read maps and navigate this country with ease. I was still awkward but this time I was armed with boldness.

1 comment: